Use primary sources in your classroom to analyze American Indian experiences during mid-century tribal change and relocation.
The American Indian Termination and Relocation packet provides resources that share stories about American Indian experiences in the mid-twentieth century. The sources and corresponding guiding questions provide perspective about challenges Native people faced during tribal change and urban relocation.
- 14 primary sources including images, oral histories, artwork, and government documents.
- Discussion questions, context, guiding questions for each source.
- White Earth Ojibway residence. Photograph. 1946.
- Powwow at Lake Calhoun. Photograph. 1951.
- Bureau of Indian Affairs memo. “Proposed Terminal Legislation for Indians of Southern Minnesota.” January 19, 1955.
- “Indians Get Vocational Training Aid.” Bemidji Daily Pioneer. October 11, 1957.
- “Reservation Life and Job Indian Choice.” Bemidji Daily Pioneer. October 25, 1957.
- Ka-ka-gesick, Ojibway Medicine Man, being interviewed by Robert C. Wheeler of the Minnesota Historical Society. Photograph. 1963.
- “Chippewa Dancer.” Mixed media artwork by Patrick DesJarlait, 1964.
- United States Census, 1970. Low-income Neighborhoods.
- United States Census, 1970. American Indian population by county.
- Little Earth Residential Community, Minneapolis. Photograph. 1973.
- Shelley McIntire, Grand Portage Ojibwe photographer. Photograph. 1973.
- Oral History. Doug Sam. Recorded August 7, 1992.
Academic Standards Alignment
The American Indian Termination and Relocation Primary Source Packet is designed to engage your students and enrich their ability to read and analyze primary sources. Incorporating these sources, or adapting the questions and activities for other sources, into your teaching will help meet your curricular objectives and academic standards, whether they are content or skills related. We have aligned this packet with the following state and national standards and benchmarks for grades 6–12.
- National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies
- Common Core
- College, Career, and Civic Life Framework
American Indian Termination and Relocation Common Core ELA standards
American Indian Termination and Relocation ELA standards
American Indian Termination and Relocation Minnesota Social Studies Standards
American Indian Termination and Relocation National Social Studies Standards and C3 Framework