Use primary sources in your classroom to analyze how communities change with decreasing population, urban change, and suburban development.
The Mapping Community Change Primary Source Packet familiarizes students and teachers with historical maps. The maps in the packet and the corresponding guiding questions provide an avenue for analyzing history and geography through the lens of community growth and decline.
- 17 reproductions of primary sources, incorporate a variety of maps and supporting documents
- Discussion questions, student questions and activity suggestions
- Plan of the City of Minneapolis and vicinity, 1874.
- Bird’s-eye view of Minneapolis, 1891.
- Map of Minneapolis from Hudson’s Dictionary, 1900.
- Ward map of Minneapolis, 1910.
- City of Minneapolis election map, 1921.
New Brighton Quadrangle (1874–1993)
- Map of Ramsey County, 1874.
- Plate 17 (southern Mound View), 1886.
- Plate 18 (northern Mound View), 1886.
- Index map of Environs of St. Paul, 1886.
- U.S. Geological Survey map of New Brighton quadrangle, 1952.
- U.S. Geological Survey map of New Brighton quadrangle, 1967.
- U.S. Geological Survey map of New Brighton quadrangle, 1993.
- Dodge County, 1874.
- General Views, Dodge County, 1874.
- Outline map of Dodge County, 1914.
- Map of Wasioja Township, 1914.
- Farmers’ directory of Wasioja Township, 1914.
Academic Standards Alignment
The Mapping Community Change Primary Source Packet is designed to engage your students and enrich their ability to read and analyze maps. Incorporating these maps, or adapting the questions and activities for other maps, into your teaching will help meet your curricular objectives and academic standards, whether they are content or skills related. We have aligned this packet with the following state and national standards and benchmarks for grades 6–12.
- National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies
- Common Core
- College, Career, and Civic Life Framework
Mapping Community Change Common Core ELA Standards
Mapping Community Change Minnesota Social Studies Standards
Mapping Community Change Minnesota ELA Standards
Mapping Community Change NCSS C3 (College Career Civic Life) Standards