Self-guided brochures help organize the exhibit experience. No additional fee.
- Museum Marvels
Enhance your field trip
- Grainland (no additional fee)
- Play the Past ($2 per student)
- Museum Lesson ($2 per student)
Help students examine artifacts and uncover stories in the History Center's museum exhibits. Teachers and chaperones work with small groups of students to facilitate each activity.
Timeframe: Allow 1-2 hours in the museum to complete activities.
Students dig deeper into exhibit themes and content when they answer questions using our Explore! booklets. Each student receives an illustrated booklet with questions and activities that guide and encourage interaction with the exhibits. Chaperones and teachers are provided with answer keys to help them facilitate discussion.
While exploring the museum, each student seeks out one object or item that is interesting, unusual or truly a “marvel” to him or her. Chaperones are provided with cameras to take photos of the students next to their favorite things. Students put the photo on a scrapbook page and answer questions about their object and about the day’s museum adventures. Past participants have used the pages to make a class book or to decorate school hallways.
Availability of this program is restricted due to a limited number of cameras.
Enhance your Field Trip
Staff leads students in a 15-minute exploration of Grainland, tracing the journey of wheat, corn, and soybeans from farm to town to grain elevator. Climb through a replica grain elevator where bins and chutes are replaced with steps and slides and curving nooks and crannies.
Grainland Scheduling Policy
- Grades K-6.
- No additional fee.
- Scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis during the field trip booking. No Grainland times will be added the day of a group's visit.
- Grainland is facilitated by a museum staff member and can accommodate 30 students every 15 minutes.
- Due to space limitations, we cannot guarantee that all students will be able to experience Grainland. Check your confirmation to verify participation in the activity.
Play the Past
Explore the Then Now Wow exhibit with iPods loaded with the Play the Past mobile app. Pursue quests, earn badges and collect artifacts in a personal digital backpacks. Back in the classroom, you and your students build upon their personal Play the Past experience through individualized research and post-field trip projects.
- Grades 4-6
- Add $2 per person
- Learn more about Play the Past
Add fun and focus to your museum visit with a 50-minute classroom lesson. Connect students with the real stuff of history — documents, photos, objects and more!
- Add $2 per person
- Maximum 30 students per lesson.