Before You Come
- Give a copy of your schedule to all the teachers coming with your group.
- Assign students to specific chaperones. A ratio of one chaperone for every five students is recommended. One chaperone per five students is admitted free during your History Center visit.
- Make name tags for your students.
- Make copies of directions and parking information for bus drivers and chaperones.
Prepare Your Chaperones
- Print the Chaperone guide (PDF) for your chaperones to review before coming to the museum and to help them find their way around the building.
- Chaperone letter (Word): Modify, print and copy to help chaperones prepare for their visit.
- Preview: send them the link to the Chaperone page to get them excited about their day.
- Chaperones are responsible for the conduct of the students they are accompanying. The History Center requires that students and chaperones remain together at all times.
Prepare Your Students
- Discuss Museum Manners.
- Learn about the games in Play the Past.
- Share the two-minute introduction video.
The History Center welcomes all visitors and strives to make everyone's visit a positive experience. Please let us know if your group has anyone with special accommodation needs. Call 1-888-387-5008 to discuss your access needs.
- Auxiliary aids or services, including sign language interpreters, are available with three weeks' notice
- Wheelchairs are available on site for use during your visit
- Private spaces and restrooms are available for diaper changing and tube feeding
- More about Minnesota History Center accessibility
The Day of Your Visit
- Bag or box lunches together by classroom or by chaperone for ease of distribution.
- Give the bus drivers directions (inform your drivers of the drop-off location on John Ireland Boulevard) and give bus drivers parking map.
- Give chaperones a list of the students in their group and scheduled activities.
When You Arrive at the History Center
- Send one teacher in the John Ireland Boulevard entrance to check in at the 2nd floor MacMillan Education Center front desk.
- Give an accurate count of the number of students and adults.
- Students will enjoy a brief orientation before starting their exploration.