Step 1: Gather Information
- School name, address and phone number
- Name of teacher or other leader who will receive confirmation materials and serve as group contact
- Grade level
- Date and time you want to schedule your visit, with two alternate dates
- Number of students
- Number of chaperones
- Lunch plans
- Decide on program and additional field trip options:
Explore, Grainland, Play the Past and Museum Lessons
- Accommodations for special needs your group requires
Step 2: Contact the History Center scheduling office
- Request a field trip online
Field Trip Details
Field Trip Hours
- Tuesday, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Wednesday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
All groups need to have 10 or more participants otherwise normal admission rates apply. Advanced reservations are required two weeks prior to any field trip.
Reduced Program Costs
Any school in Minnesota with 50% or more of its students enrolled in the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program is eligible for a reduction in museum costs. Ask the scheduler about available discounts.
Transportation and Lodging Support
- Legacy Field Trip Support Fund offers financial assistance to offset transportation costs. Available to schools statewide.
- MacMillan Field Trip Grants Program helps offset transportation and lodging costs to schools in Greater Minnesota.
- Lunch space is available at no additional charge. Reservations required.
- Weather permitting, outdoor lunch space is available. In the case of inclement weather, indoor lunch accommodations will not be made for groups without a prior reservation.
- Lunch periods (25 minutes) are scheduled on the half hour from 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. (Weekdays only.)
- There are no vending machines, refrigerators or microwaves for school group use.
- Groups from multiple schools may share lunchroom space.
Call 1-888-387-5008 if accommodations need to be made for allergies or accessibility needs.