Step 1: Gather Information
- School name, address and phone number
- Name of teacher or other leader who will receive confirmation materials and serve as group contact
- Grade level
- Date and time you want to schedule your visit, with two alternate dates
- Number of students
- Number of chaperones
- Lunch plans
- Decide on program and additional field trip options:
Explore, Museum Marvels, Grainland, Play the Past and/or Museum Lessons
- Accommodations for special needs your group requires
Step 2: Contact the History Center scheduling office
- Request a field trip online
Field Trip Details
Field trip rates are available for school groups visiting the museum Tuesday-Friday from 9 am - 5 pm and youth groups visiting Tuesday from 5 - 8 pm or on weekends. Other group activities and packages available for youth groups. All groups need to have 10 or more participants otherwise normal admission rates apply. Advanced reservations are required for all field trips.
Reduced Program Costs
Any school in Minnesota with 50% or more of its students enrolled in the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program is eligible for a reduction in museum costs. Ask the scheduler about available discounts.
Transportation and Lodging Support
Legacy Field Trip Support Fund offers financial assistance to offset transportation costs. Available to schools statewide.
MacMillan Field Trip Grants Program helps offset transportation and lodging costs to schools in Greater Minnesota.
Grainland Scheduling Policy
- Grades K-6.
- No additional fee.
- Scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis during the field trip booking. No Grainland times will be added the day of a group's visit.
- Grainland is facilitated by a museum staff member and can accommodate 30 students every 15 minutes.
- Due to space limitations, we cannot guarantee that all students will be able to experience Grainland. Check your confirmation to verify participation in the activity.
- No additional charge for use of the lunchrooms.
- Space is limited. Reservations are required at a first-come, first-served basis.
- Lunch periods (25 minutes) are scheduled on the half hour starting at 11 am. The last lunch period starts at 1:30 pm.
- Lunch space is not available on weekends.
- There are no vending machines or microwaves on-site for school group use.
- Groups from multiple schools may share space in the lunchroom at one time.
Please call our scheduling office at 1-888-387-5008 if accommodations need to be made due to allergies or if you have other accessibility needs.
Bring your own bag lunches:
- Space must be reserved to eat lunch at the museum. Reserve your space when making your field trip reservation.
- Students may eat bag lunches outside on the Laura Jane Musser Plaza when weather permits. In the case of inclement weather, indoor lunch accommodations will not be made for groups on the day of their visit.
- We provide unrefrigerated lunch storage for groups visiting the museum.
Order lunch prior to visit from onsite restaurant, Cafe Minnesota:
- Menu (PDF)
- Call 651-259-3030 to order prior to your visit
- Reserve a lunchroom space by calling 1-888-387-5008