Step 1: Gather Information
- School name, address and phone number
- Name of teacher or other leader who will receive confirmation materials and serve as group contact
- Grade level(s)
- Date and time you want to schedule your visit, with two alternate dates
- Number of students
- Number of chaperones
- Lunch plans
- Decide on one lesson program and investigate other field trip options
- Accommodations for special needs your group requires
Step 2: Contact the History Center scheduling office
- Request a field trip online
Field Trip Details
Field Trip Hours & Availability
- School field trip programs are available October 1st through June 15th, Tuesday – Friday, 9:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- All groups need to have 10 or more students. Advanced reservations are required two weeks prior to any field trip.
Reduced Program Costs
Any school in Minnesota with 50% or more of its students enrolled in the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program is eligible for a reduction in museum costs. Ask the scheduler about available discounts.
Transportation, Admission, and Lodging Support
- McKnight Foundation Scholarship offers financial assistance to offset transportation costs and provides free admission to Mill City Museum for metro-area public schools. Limited to visits in January, February, and March.
- Pentair Foundation Field Trip Grant offers financial assistance to offset transportation costs and provides free admission to Mill City Museum. Limited to visits in October, November, and December.
- Legacy Field Trip Support Fund offers financial assistance to offset transportation costs. Available to schools statewide.
- MacMillan Field Trip Grants Program helps offset transportation and lodging costs to schools in Greater Minnesota.
- Lunch space is available at no additional charge. Reservations required.
- Lunch periods (25 minutes) are scheduled on the half hour from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Weekdays only.)
- There are no vending machines, refrigerators or microwaves for school group use.
- Groups from multiple schools may share lunchroom space.
Call 1-888-387-5008 if accommodations need to be made for allergies or accessibility needs.
Help Mill City Museum Reduce, Recycle, and Reuse!
Mill City Museum is committed to helping students recycle and compost their field trip lunch.
On average, a school of 200 students generates 75 pounds of compostable waste each week. Mill City Museum has around 32,000 school visitors each year which can result in almost 2,500 pounds of compostable waste!
You can do your part! Talk with students about composting and how to properly dispose of their lunches before your visit with these helpful resources:
Pre-order lunch from Mill City’s onsite restaurant, Bushel & Peck Cafe
- Orders must be placed two weeks prior to your visit.
- Call 612-341-7557 to order.
- Menu (PDF)
- Reserve a lunchroom space by calling 1-888-387-5008 two weeks in advance.