Two summer internships for History Day participants are available thanks to the generous support of Ralph and Virginia Kurtzman. Interns will:
Support History Day Students: Kurtzman interns will spend the majority of their hours with the Summer Athletic and Immersive Learning (SAIL) program, which takes place on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Campus. SAIL students will create History Day projects. Interns will support SAIL students by helping them to find research materials and creating mini-History Day style documentaries. Interns in Greater Minnesota will work on projects determined by historic site location.
Be a Part of the Minnesota Historical Society’s Summer Teen Intern Activities: Interns will participate in cohort activities, with an optional field trip to a Minnesota Historical Society site.
HOURS AND WORK LOCATION
Each intern will be scheduled for approximately 50 hours ($9.50/hour). Hours will be determined by the availability of the students selected.
- For Twin Cities Students: The History Day internship will be split between the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus and the Minnesota History Center in St. Paul. Must be available June 24—June 29.
- For Interns in Greater Minnesota: Location and specific work duties will be determined by Minnesota Historical Society Historic Site assignment.
In order to apply for this internship, students must be in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade in the 2018-2019 academic year; have completed a History Day project in the 2018-2019 academic year (participation in a competition is not required); and have access to housing and transportation.
APPLICATION AND DEADLINE
- Let us know you’re interested by completing the general Teen Programs application for the Minnesota Historical Society.
- The Minnesota Historical Society Volunteers and Interns Department will contact you to submit the Kurtzman Intern Survey.
- You will also be asked to submit two letters of recommendation from a teacher or History Day advisor.
The application deadline is Friday, April 5, 2019. Interns will be announced at the State History Day pre-awards ceremony on Saturday, May 4, 2019 and posted online with State History Results at approximately 8 pm that evening.
If you have questions about the internship or the application process, please contact JLor (651) 259-3429 or Jennifer.Lor@mnhs.org.
Application and Flyer