Thanks to the generous support of Ralph and Virginia Kurtzman, two summer internships for History Day participants are available through the Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS). Interns will have three major roles:
1. Support History Day Students: Kurtzman interns will spend the majority of their hours with the Summer Athletic and Immersive Learning (SAIL) program, which takes place on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Campus. The students participating in this program will be creating History Day projects. The interns will support students and duties will include:
- Helping participants locate relevant research materials for history projects
- Working with participants to create original research documentaries
- Facilitating a challenging but productive learning environment
2. See History Day Behind the Scenes: Other internship projects will vary. Past interns have:
- Helped the History Day staff prepare materials for the upcoming school year.
- Researched in the Minnesota Historical Society Library
- Got a behind-the-scenes look at the Minnesota History Center, meeting staff members in a variety of occupations
3. Be a Part of the Minnesota Historical Society’s Summer Intern Activities: Interns will participate in cohort activities, with an optional field trip to a Minnesota Historical Society site.
HOURS AND WORK LOCATION
Each intern will be scheduled for 50 hours ($10/hour). Hours will be determined by the availability of the students selected for this program.
- For Twin Cities Students: The History Day internship will be spilt between the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus and the Minnesota History Center in St. Paul.
- For Interns in Greater Minnesota: Location and specific work duties will be determined by Minnesota Historical Society Historic Site assignment.
In order to apply for this internship, students must: Be in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade in the 2017-2018 academic year. Have completed a History Day project in the 2017-2018 academic year. Participation in a competition is not required. Have access to housing and transportation.
To apply, complete the online application form: education.mnhs.org/historyday/. Click on Alumni and then Current Opportunities. There are three steps in the application process:
- Let us know you’re interested by completing the general Teen Programs application for the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Work with Brittany Pinales to submit the Kurtzman Intern Survey, which asks for information about History Day experiences, as well as answers to the following:
- Why do you have interest in this internship?
- What strengths do you feel you can bring to the Minnesota Historical Society?
- How do you think History Day participation in has prepared you for a success?
- Why do you think it is important to study history?
- Submit two letters of recommendation from a teacher or History Day advisor.
The application deadline is Friday, April 12, 2019. Interns will be announced at the State History Day award ceremony on Saturday, May 4, 2019.
If you have questions about the internship or the application process, please contact Brittany Pinales at (651) 259-3428 or Brittany.Pinales@mnhs.org.
Application and Flyer
- Application (available in February)
- Flyer of Details and Eligibility (available in February)
- Teacher Letter of Recommendation (available in February)