We are currently not accepting Field Trip requests for the 2014-2015 school year. Please check back in early fall!
2013-2014 School Year:
We are pleased to announce that there will be Legacy funding available for History Day Library Research Field Trips and History Day Library Open Houses (e.g. Hullabaloos) for the 2014 History Day season! The Council for Regional Public Library Service Administration (CRPLSA) has partnered with History Day (HD) to provide financial support so that schools and libraries have the opportunity to receive reimbursement for expenses related to travel and research-based services related to History Day.
DUE TO THE NATURE OF OUR PARTNERSHIP, RESEARCH MUST BE HISTORY DAY-RELATED. These funds can reimburse bus/transportation expenses, substitute fees, or teacher stipends (for weekend/evening work) related to History Day research. Funds CANNOT be used towards food, overnight hotel stays, or field trips expenses not related to History Day research.
- The Kitchigami Regional Library System (Beltrami, Cass, Crow Wing, Hubbard & Wadena counties) has opted out of the Minnesota Historical Society partnership. Schools in this region will be unable to apply for research funds through our office, but can contact the Regional Library System directly (www.krls.org ) for special Legacy-related opportunities.
- The Viking Regional Library System (Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens and Traverse counties) has opted out of the Minnesota Historical Society partnership. Schools in this region will should contact Sammi Jo Coryell (Samantha.Coryell@mnhs.org or (651) 259-3439) about alternate funding sources that may be available through History Day to pay for research opportunities.
Fund Distribution Policies - Updated October 2014
Many public, academic, and specialty libraries are excited to welcome school groups (of varying sizes) into their facility during the school day. It is important that advanced notice and planning take place prior to your arrival. History Day staff can help facilitate this conversation or you are welcome to work with the community partners you already have. If you have interest in visiting Wilson Library at the University of Minnesota, the History Day TA needs to help you make those arrangements.
History Day "Hullabaloo" Research Open Houses
Several libraries have organized special History Day Library Research Open House events (Hullabaloos!) that help students with their research as well as other History Day opportunities like power conferences with History Day staff or mentors, staff mini-sessions, and additional library assistance. These take place in the evening or on weekends and are open to school groups and individuals. View a list of dates and locations. If you would like to see a Hullabaloo-like event in your area, contact Sammi Jo Coryell with your interest.
Getting Started --WE ARE NOT CURRENLTY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR. PLEASE CHECK BACK IN EARLY FALL.
In order to qualify for library reimbursement, you must follow these steps:
- Complete the School Program Approval Form and submit to Minnesota History Day.
- We will initially approve one trip per teacher. If you are interested in more than one trip, you may submit the paperwork as a placeholder request. If funding permits, we may be able to approve additional trips.
- If your program request is approved, you can go ahead with your trip planning. Unless you are attending an organized library event where reservations are not required, you are responsible for contacting the library directly at least two weeks prior to your visit to lay plans and set expectations.
After Your Trip
- Return the School Reimbursement Request Form (paid to school, must include receipts/documentation) or Teacher Request for Payment Form (paid to teacher, for trips outside contract hours)
- Teacher Survey
- Student Survey (completed by students online for field trips, completed in person for Hullabaloos)
Support for Libraries
Libraries also qualify for History Day-related financial support for additional staff, extended hours, or History Day training. Libraries will need to fill out the Library Program Approval Form in advance.
After the event, in order to process your reimbursement or payment for History Day library programs, you must complete the following no later than April 15, 2015.
- Return the Library Reimbursement Request Form (paid to library, must include receipts/documentation) or Librarian Request for Payment Form (paid to librarian, for events outside contract hour)
- Librarian Survey
CRPLSA and History Day are very excited about our statewide partnership and hope that you will take advantage of this exciting opportunity to engage in your community’s libraries. For more information please contact Sammi Jo Coryell.