2014-2015 History Day Library Funding
--Updated September 2014
We are pleased to announce that funding is available to support History Day library research field trips and History Day Hullabaloos for the 2015 History Day season! The Council for Regional Public Library Service Administration (CRPLSA) has partnered with History Day (HD) to provide financial support so that schools and libraries have the opportunity to receive reimbursement for expenses related to travel and research-based services related to HD.
Many public, academic, and specialty libraries are excited to welcome school groups (of varying sizes) into their facility during the school day. It is important to give these libraries advance notice of your plans prior to your arrival. History Day staff can help facilitate this conversation or you are welcome to work with community partners you already have. If you have an interest in visiting Wilson Library at the University of Minnesota, the History Day TA (firstname.lastname@example.org) needs to help you make those arrangements.
HISTORY DAY “HULLABALOO” RESEARCH OPEN HOUSES
HD has worked with libraries across the state to organize special History Day Library Research Open House Events (Hullabaloos!). During these events, students can get assistance with research, discuss their projects with HD staff or mentors, listen to lectures on related topics, and get extra help from librarians. These take place on evenings or weekends and are open to school groups and individuals. For a list of dates, visit our website. If you would like to see a Hullabaloo-like event in your area, contact Sammi Jo Coryell at (Samantha.Coryell@mnhs.org) or (651) 259-3439.
These funds can reimburse bus/transportation expenses, substitute fees, or teacher stipends (for evening/weekend work) related to History Day research. Funds can NOT be used towards food, overnight hotel stays, or field trip expenses not related to History Day research. Due to the nature of our partnership, research must be HD related.
· For field trips during the school day, we will reimburse a maximum of $100 per substitute and no more than 1 substitute per 25 students.
· For field trips taken outside of the school day, teachers can apply for a $75 stipend for a minimum of 4 hours of work. This stipend is only available if you go with students on a field trip or to a Hullabaloo outside of the school day, not for planning purposes.
· Approval of bus/transportation costs are based on a dollars/student formula. Please get an accurate estimate of both number of students and bus costs before submitting your application.
· If you will be traveling from Greater Minnesota and would be interested in an overnight stay, please look at the opportunities granted through the Minnesota Historical Society: MacMillan Field Trip Grants and the Legacy Field Trip Support Fund.
· Early Deadline: Submit materials by November 14, 2014. Decision by November 21.
· Rolling Deadline: Materials submitted after November 14, 2014 will be approved as funding permits. We will notify you within 5 business days if your application has been approved.
We will initially approve one trip per teacher. If you are interested in more trips, you may submit the paperwork as a placeholder request. If funding permits, we may be able to approve additional trips.
PLANNING YOUR TRIP
Once your request has been approved, you can go ahead with your trip planning. You are responsible for contacting the library directly AT LEAST TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR VISIT to lay out plans and set expectations.
· Get your students ready for a library field trip with our editable Going to the Library PowerPoint.
AFTER THE RESEARCH TRIP
Once you have completed your History Day research field trip or Hullabaloo, you will need to complete the reimbursement process to receive your funds.
· Within one week of the trip, ALL students and teachers involved will be required to fill out a survey about their library research experience or Hullabaloo. These survey responses are critical in receiving funding for these trips in future years.
· Complete the School Reimbursement Request Form and submit receipts for transportation and substitutes before April 15, 2015.
· Once all surveys are completed and the proper paperwork has been completed, your reimbursement will be processed. Checks typically take 30 days to process.
SUPPORT FOR LIBRARIES
Libraries also qualify for HD-related financial support for additional staff, extended hours, or HD training, direct them to the Librarian’s Toolbox on the HD website for more information. Libraries can apply by completing the Library Program Approval Form in advance. After the event, the Library Request for Reimbursement form must be completed and turned in along with associated paperwork and receipts, as well as surveys completed by librarians or media specialists who assisted with the event. The reimbursement will not be processed until all steps are complete, and are due no later than April 15, 2015.
CRPLSA and History Day staff is very excited about our statewide partnerships and hope that you will take advantage of this exciting opportunity to engage in your community’s libraries. For more information, please contact Sammi Jo Coryell at Samantha.Coryell@mnhs.org or (651)259-3439.