Top entries from Minnesota are awarded the opportunity to compete at the National competition at the University of Maryland-College Park in mid-June.
2018 National Contest
- Dates: June 10-14, 2018
- Location: University of Maryland, College Park
- Video Overview
Results from the 2017 National Contest
- 1st Place Junior Paper: Ingrid Mundt - Capitol Hill Gifted and Talented Magnet School, St. Paul - "Margaret Sanger, Taking a Stand for Birth Control"
- 2nd Place Junior Paper: Grace Philippon - Twin Cities German Immersion School, St. Paul - "Rachel Carson's Silent Spring: Standing Up for Women, Science, and the Environment"
- 3rd Place Junior Individual Exhibit: Aliyah Hamlin - Sunrise Park Middle School, White Bear Lake - "Loving v. Virginia: Taking a Stand for Marriage"
- 3rd Place Junior Individual Documentary: August Butterworth - Chaska Middle School East, Chaska - "The 1971 FBI Burglary: Taking a Stand Against Illegal Government Surveillance"
- 3rd Place Junior Group Documentary: Sruthi Subramanian, Audrey Faricy, Sebastian Helgeson - Parkview Center School, Roseville - "Planting Seeds to End World Hunger: Norman Borlaug's Fight Against Famine"
- 5th Place Senior Paper: Erin Boehme - DeLaSalle High School, Minneapolis - "Rachel Carson's Silent Spring: The Book that Caused an Environmental Uproar"
- 5th Place Junior Individual Website: Sam Skinner - Murray Middle School, St. Paul - "An Ordinary American, An Extraordinary Stand: Korematsu v. United States". Sam also received the Junior Division Outstanding State Entry Award for Minnesota.
- 6th Place Junior Group Documentary: Elsa Carlson, Zoe Campion, Maddie Simon - Open World Learning Community, St. Paul - "Temple Grandin: Taking a Stand Against Autism Stereotypes"
- 6th Place Senior Group Performance: Grace Kellar-Long, Sam Kellar-Long - Open World Learning Community, St. Paul - "'What is a City but the People?' Jane Jacobs' Stand Against the Lower Manhattan Expressway"
- 6th Place Senior Group Documentary: Oliver Paleen Zach Glaser - Highland Park Senior High School, St. Paul - "Epperson v. Arkansas: The Evolution Revolution"
- 7th Place Senior Individual Exhibit: KateLynn Dorschner - Jackson County Central High School, Jackson - "..Can't Learn on Empty Stomachs: BPP Takes a Stand". KateLynn also received the Senior Division Outstanding State Entry Award for Minnesota.
- 9th Place Junior Group Exhibit: Oreoluwa Olusi, Ernie Mattson, Alex Lockwood, Sully Gunderson - Sunrise Park Middle School, White Bear Lake - "Don Haskins"