Paper Finalists (these students will be interviewed at the State contest on Sunday, May 1st)
Paper Competition Process
Papers do not compete alongside exhibits, documentaries, websites and performances at the Regional event due to the length of time needed to view and judge a paper. Paper students are welcome to attend the Regional event in which their school is attending and receive a participation ribbon, but they will not be interviewed by judges at this event. Each school may enter as many papers as they would like into the first level of judging. Each school must still complete a participation survey in January for paper projects.
*Paper students are not required to complete a process paper.
The judging process works as follows:
- Papers are mailed to the state History Day office in early March for a first level of judging. Students may attend a Regional Event with their school, but are not required to be there, they will not be interviewed by judges.
- History Day staff sort the papers into judging teams, and mail out the projects to teams of judges.
- Paper judges have about two weeks to review and judge the projects, and then they send their results back to the State History Day office, along with completed judge forms.
- History Day staff notify paper finalists (Top 12 in junior and top 12 in senior divisions). If you are not chosen as a finalist, you will not be notified. Comment forms will be mailed back within two weeks of being returned to the History Center.
- Finalists are allowed to make changes before submitting a final project back to the History Day office about three weeks before the state competition.
- The final papers are mailed to new teams of judges.
- Paper finalists are interviewed at the State competition. Judges will have already read and reviewed the papers.
Important 2016 Dates for Paper Students:
- Tues., March 1: All papers due at the Minnesota History Day office. $15 State entry fee per student.
- Thurs., March 3: List of all received papers posted online.
Minnesota History Day has received the papers below. If you do not see your paper on this list, contact Torrie Wiebe, 651-259-3443.
- Fri., March 25: Paper finalists notified.
- Tues., April 12: Finalist papers due at the Minnesota History Day office. Students are encouraged to make changes based on feedback and judge comments.
- Sun., May 1: Finalists interviewed at the State History Day competition.
Resarch Paper Resources
Resources about organizing information for your paper can be found on our Project Resources page.
Read sample papers from previous competitions to get ideas.