The Minnesota Historical Society developed these quests to reflect the theme of Northern Lights Sixth Grade Social Studies Curriculum and Minnesota Social Studies Standards.
Back in the classroom, you and your students can use the digital artifacts collected on the field trip for deeper investigation and follow-up. Create your own activities or use our suggestions below.
Tell Me a Story
Design an online poster that illustrates life on the Minnesota Prairie
Write an online blog articulating the most important time/place in Minnesota history
Create a new storyline for a history quest on the open source game platform called ARIS
Using digital online tools, visually illustrate what life was like during the fur trade era
Reflective questions following your field trip:
- What was life like on a homestead in late 1800s?
- What kind of hardships did settlers face on the prairie?
- What were some ways settlers kept themselves fed on the prairie?
- What were some ways settlers kept themselves warm on the prairie?
- What did some settlers have to do during the grasshopper plague?