Red River train in St. Paul
Travellers and traders used ox cart trails known as the Red River Trails throughout the mid-19th century. The trails ran from modern-day Winnipeg to Mendota or St. Paul, where traders could sell their animal furs and other supplies. Many used Red River carts, like the one pictured here. The carts were developed by Metis people and most often drawn by oxen. The bookstore in the background of the photograph is Combs' Bookstore; it opened in 1851, and was the first bookstore in St. Paul.