This is Minnesota's first State Capitol building. It was built in 1854 at 10th and Cedar in St. Paul, and burned in 1881. In 1883, a red brick Capitol structure was built, but it was quickly deemed too small. Within 10 years, a legislative committee called for another new building. Local architect Cass Gilbert designed the current Capitol building, which opened in 1905.