Primary sources are a fantastic way to teach both content and historical skills. Thanks to a generous grant from the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources program, MNHS has created tools to help teachers integrate more primary sources into their instruction.
Primary Source Videos
These four short videos can be used by teachers or students to learn primary-source discovery and interpretation skills.
- Using Primary Sources to Supplement Textbooks
- Integrating U.S. History with Minnesota History
- Finding Minnesota Sources at the Library of Congress
- Interpreting Historical Newspapers
Primary Source Packets
Each packet includes context, select sources from the Library of Congress and MNHS, and three in-class activities. Developed for grades 9-12.
- Women's Suffrage in the United States (.pdf)
- Federal American Indian Policy (.pdf)
- Temperance and Prohibition (.pdf)
- The Vietnam War (.pdf)
Packets in Word format, without images of sources included: