The application has closed for this event.
MNHS Education is offering a cohort experience for U.S. history teachers!
Build relationships with your fellow U.S. history teachers throughout the 2014-2015 school year in a series of professional development opportunities, created to provide resources and a unique learning environment. The U.S. History Teacher Cohort for 2014-2015 includes four required elements:
- an in-person workshop
- an online webinar
- a two-day summer experience
- online communication throughout the school year
The theme of the cohort is "American Pop Culture: A Window to U.S. History." All experiences will focus on various aspects of pop culture and will include content and instruction from various organizations, and resources and materials for the classroom. The cohort will provide a small group of U.S. history teachers the opportunity to build networks of colleagues outside of their schools, and share resources throughout the school year and beyond.
All cohort participants will be expected to attend all three opportunities and be active in online discussions throughout the year with fellow cohort members and MNHS educators. Program cost is $200.
Cohort members will receive books and resources related to each of the workshop topics, Continuing Education Credits, meals and parking during the in-person experiences, and an individual Minnesota Historical Society membership. Some subsidy funds are available to defray the costs of sub fees and travel.
Workshop topics, dates, and locations:
- Wed., Dec. 10, 2014. 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: "Baseball as America: Sports and U.S. History" Target Field, Minneapolis
- April webinar, weekday afternoon/evening (date to be decided by cohort group): "Teaching with Art"
- June 24-25, 2015: "American Pop Culture: A Window to U.S. History" Minnesota History Center, St. Paul and other metro cultural institutions. This two-day experience will focus on other aspects of pop culture, such as music, film, fashion, literature, etc.
This experience is intended for U.S. history teachers in Minnesota, teaching in grade 7 or in high school.
Please e-mail Jessica Ellison with questions or call 651-259-3427.