National History Day is an inter-disciplinary research project for students in grades 6-12. History Day teaches students to:
- Conduct in-depth research
- Use primary and secondary sources
- Read a variety of texts
- Analyze and synthesize information
- Write and present historical content
Students choose a topic that relates to an annual theme, research that topic, and present their research in one of five presentation categories: Research Paper, Exhibit, Documentary, Performance, or Website. Students may then enter their projects into History Day competitions at school, regional, state, and national levels.
Minnesota History Day Sponsors
National History Day in Minnesota is a partnership of the Minnesota Historical Society and the University of Minnesota.
Major Funding Provided by: The Gerald and Patrice Halbach Charitable Fund, the Ralph and Virginia Kurtzman Fund, David and Janis Larson Foundation, the State of Minnesota/Arts and Culture Heritage Funds, National Checking, the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation, Margaret and Lee Skold Fund, Thomson Reuters, Frank W. Veden Charitable Trust, the Wells Fargo Foundation Minnesota, and the WEM Foundation.
Augsburg College, Bemidji State University Minneapolis Public Schools, Minnesota State University Mankato, Minnesota State University Moorhead, St. Cloud State University, Winona State University, University of Minnesota Duluth, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, St. Paul Public Schools, Valley View Middle School in Edina, and White Bear Lake High School, South Campus.
Minnesota History Day Logos
Each Minnesota History Day logo is available in two formats, low resolution JPEG and high resolution EPS. For use on a website, select the low resolution image. The image will then be displayed on your screen and you can save it to your hard drive. For print materials, select the high resolution image. The image will automatically be saved to your hard drive.
Logo usage must follow the following usage guidelines:
- The History Day logo should always appear with the Minnesota Historical Society and University of Minnesota logos.
- The width of the logo lockup images (both .eps and .jpeg) should not be used smaller than 3.875."
- The primary typeface for History Day materials is Gotham or Archer. When neither of these fonts are available, use Arial.
- The color palate for the History Day logo is blue (632c), yellow (124c), and gray (432c). Other Minnesota Historical Society education brand colors can be used: orange (158c) and red (187c).
Logo Lockup: Black and White
Logo Lockup: Full Color
- Triumph and Tragedy in History (.jpeg)
National History Day
- NHD Trademark Logo (.jpeg)