Find out more about MNHS membership by reading our Frequently Asked Questions.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
You can call the MNHS Membership Office at 651-259-3131 or toll-free 888-293-4440, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The membership phone line will be answered Monday through Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
What are my membership benefits?
Membership benefits include:
- Free general admission at 26 MNHS historic sites and museums in Minnesota.
- 20% discount on all ticketed special events, including tours, family activities, lectures, classes, and more.
- 10% discount at all MNHS museum stores and at shop.mnhs.org.
- 10% discount in cafés at Minnesota History Center and Mill City Museum.
- 10% discount on MNHS Press purchases.
- 10% discount on Gale Family Library services.
- Discount on Minnesota History Center parking.
- Award-winning Minnesota History magazine and MNHS programs and events magazine.
- MNHS email and digital updates on upcoming programs, events, special offers and more.
- Exhibit previews and members-only events.
- Time Travelers reciprocal benefits at nearly 250 historical societies nationwide.
- A portion of your membership is tax-deductible.
Membership benefits and pricing are subject to change without notice.
What is the difference between the membership levels?
- Individual membership offers free general admission benefits for 1 named adult.
- Individual Plus membership offers free general admission benefits for 1 named adult, PLUS an admission for 1 guest at any of our 26 historic sites.
- Household membership offers free general admission benefits for 2 named adults and children under the age of 18 in the household, or grandchildren.
- Household Plus membership offers free general admission benefits for 2 named adults and children under the age of 18 in the household or grandchildren PLUS admission for 2 guests at any of our 26 historic sites.
When purchasing MNHS event tickets, the number of guests who receive the member discount is similar to the number of guests who would receive free general admission at MNHS’ historic sites. For example, an Individual Plus ticket buyer would receive the member discount for their ticket as well as a guest’s ticket. A Household Plus ticket buyer would receive the member discount on their tickets for anyone in their household as well as discounts for their 2 guests.
Do you offer any discounts on memberships?
Yes, we do offer a $5 discount for seniors over 65 or educators. Only one discount may be applied per membership.
How long does my membership last?
Your membership benefits last for 12 months.
Do I need to bring my membership card when I visit?
Please travel with your membership card. MNHS staff are able to look up your membership online at select sites, but not all. The named adult(s) on the membership will be granted free general admission or discounted ticket price on site.
Is my membership transferable to others like my relative?
No, membership benefits are limited to the named adult(s) on the account.
Can I add an adult to my membership?
Yes, you can add a second adult in your household to your Household or Household Plus membership at any time. Call the Membership Office at 651-259-3131 or email us at email@example.com. The maximum number of adults allowed on one membership is two.
Can I upgrade my membership?
Yes! You can upgrade your membership by paying the difference of your current membership and your desired level in-person at any of our historic sites, or over the phone by calling the Membership Office. Note: we will only allow upgrades from purchase date to 6 months before the membership expires.
Does my membership allow my child(ren) to receive free school field trip admission?
No, MNHS does not allow free field trip admission as a benefit of MNHS membership.
Can I use my membership right away?
Yes! Record your membership number or show a photo ID at any of our historic sites until your member cards arrive in 2-3 weeks.
I’ve lost my member cards! What do I do?
Not to worry! Call the Membership Office or email us, and we will get new cards sent to you in 1-2 weeks. In the meantime, your member number and a photo ID will get you admission to our historic sites.
I received a renewal notice, but I’ve already renewed.
To be good stewards of our resources, renewal notices are mailed at the nonprofit bulk rate of postage which costs significantly less to mail but can take longer to be delivered than first class mail. As such, occasionally your membership renewal payment and our renewal mailing may get crossed in the mail. You can check your membership history and status here, or call the Membership Office.
How can I stay up-to-date on upcoming programs and events?
One of the benefits of your membership is receiving MNHS email and digital updates. Members may have special offers or coupons attached to those emails, so be sure to read them!
Do you offer Institutional memberships?
We only offer Institutional membership to county and local historical societies in Minnesota. Benefits include our award-winning Minnesota History quarterly journal, our MNHS member newsletter printed three time a year, and a 10% discount on copies from the MNHS Gale Family Library copy center, and on books or gift shop items purchased by and for your organization. Admission benefits to MNHS historic sites and museums are not included. Institutional members receive an acknowledgement letter instead of a membership card. County and local historical societies can purchase their Institutional membership by calling our Membership Office.
Can I buy a gift membership?
Yes! MNHS gift memberships are the most thoughtful gift in history. You can purchase one online, in-person at any of our historic sites, or over the phone. Gift membership recipients receive a membership packet that includes their new membership cards, information about MNHS’ 26 historic sites, a copy of Minnesota History quarterly magazine as well as MNHS magazine which lists upcoming exhibits and events.
Can I make a donation on top of my membership?
Of course, thank you! Your support allows the Minnesota Historical Society to further its mission of using the power of history to transform lives. You can add a donation to your cart through our Donate page, or you can make a gift in-person at any of our historic sites, or over the phone.
Can I get a refund for my membership?
No, membership purchases are non-refundable.
How can I change my address?
You can update your address online, give us a call, or send an email. That said, our system is connected to the USPS database, so if your city has been changed but your street address and zip code are correct, you will still get your mail from us. This is because zip codes aren’t necessarily tied to municipalities, and it all depends on how your local postal service delivers your mail.
Why does your website automatically change my city name to Minneapolis or St. Paul?
MNHS routinely checks members’ mailing addresses for updates in the National Change of Address Database (NCOA) administered by the U.S. Postal Service. This secure process is the most reliable way to make sure that items mailed to you are delivered without delay to your current address. Addresses may also be systematically updated as a result of an official change or forwarding request submitted to the USPS. Address formatting may also be updated with corrections to abbreviation, street/city/zip code to improve deliverability.
How can I change my email address?
You can update your email address by emailing the change to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your old email address is also tied to your online login to mnhs.org, we can provide you with instructions for creating a login with the new email.
Why am I not seeing my member discount on tickets online?
This may occur when the system created a duplicate record that is not attached to your membership account. In order to fix this issue, please email us at email@example.com. If you'd prefer, you can always purchase tickets with your member discount by calling the Box Office at 651-259-3015 M-F.
Why doesn't my login work on the MNHS Shop page?
The Shop portion of the website uses a different system than the membership and ticketing portion, so you will need to create a second login for the shop. Be sure to have your member ID number ready so that you can get your discount. If you don't know your member ID number and cannot find your membership card, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Box Office at 651-259-3015 and we will get you the information you need.
How do I access my MNHS member account online?
If you know your password, you can go straight to the login page, enter your information, and access your account. If you haven't yet used your online account, there may be one set up for you. Click the "I forgot/create password" link underneath the login credentials boxes, enter your email in the pop up, and you'll be sent an email to reset your password and grant you access to your account. If, after entering your email address, you receive an error message saying that the account is not recognized, contact us and we will set up a login for you. If you create a new account, it will not be tied to your current MNHS membership, and you will not be able to access your discounts and MNHS member account.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
You can call the MNHS Membership Office at 651-259-3131 7 days per week, or toll-free 888-293-4440, or email email@example.com. North Star Circle inquiries should be made at 651-259-3127 M-F, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are Supporting membership benefits?
Supporting members enjoy all basic membership benefits for two named adults, in addition to invitations to exclusive Supporting members’ events and functions. As well, they provide additional funding annually with these levels of membership.
- Associate members receive invitations to annual Members-Only Access event and may bring 2 guests per visit to historic sites and museums.
- Contributing members receive invitations to annual Members-Only Access event and Conversation With a Curator event, recognition in the Annual Report, and may bring 2 guests per visit to historic sites and museums.
- Sustaining members receive invitations to annual Members-Only Access events and Conversation With a Curator event, Behind-the-Scenes collections tours, and recognition in the Annual Report. They may also bring 3 guests per visit to historic sites and museums.
- North Star Circle members receive invitations to annual Members-Only Access event and Conversation With a Curator event, Behind-the-Scenes collections tours, recognition in our Annual Report and at the Minnesota History Center and Mill City Museum, invitations to exclusive North Star Circle exhibit previews and events, and more. North Star Circle members receive unlimited additional guest passes with each historic site visit.
Am I able to make monthly payments on my Supporting membership?
Yes! Credit cards are charged for these memberships on the 15th of each month until you cancel.
Is my membership tax deductible?
If you have opted to receive membership benefits, such as Minnesota History magazine and admission for additional guests, a portion of your membership is considered charitable, and is therefore tax deductible. MNHS is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. So that we are not dispensing tax advice, we can tell you what portion of your annual fee is not tax deductible.
- For Individual, Individual Plus, and Household membership levels, $28 of what you paid is NOT tax deductible.
- For Household Plus, Associate, Contributing, and Sustaining memberships, $48 of what you paid is NOT tax deductible.
- North Star Circle memberships are 100% tax deductible.